Now Halloween and Bonfire Night have been and gone, I am getting really excited about Christmas being just around the corner. I love the build up and the planning. What will we do, how can I make family days special?
For the start of December I put together an Advent box of some new bits and pieces for family fun through the month to get us all in the festive spirit - games, stickers, books, DVD's and plenty of sweet treats. It's lovely to have the time together and just sit down to relax with fairy lights twinkling and Christmas music playing.
I also like to have all the winter and Christmas books out on the seasonal shelf in our snug room so they are on hand for inspiration and for tales told by firelight on the cold and dark afternoons. Some favourites are The Snowman of course beautifully illustrated and The Night Before Christmas for that it our traditional nightly poem in December at Little Bird's bedtime.
With snacks, silly jumpers, a blanket and the dogs snoring we also love to put on a family film - old classics, cartoons, adventures and songs like from this selection of family DVD's from Rakuten.
1. Sing-Along Frozen - this will get everyone chirpy and happy. 'Let it go....'
2. Super Santa Collection - a triple DVD set for pure Christmas sentimentality
3. The Snow Queen - a classic wintery tale
4. Alice in Wonderland - my favourite so I'd be having an afternoon with this.
5. Hugo - the tale of an orphan that lives in a train station, and a mystery to solve
6. A Fairy Tale Christmas - cartoon adventures of a princess kidnapped on Christmas Eve
Make some Christmassy popcorn, crisps and dips and snuggle up on the sofa for some fab Yuletide viewing. Sometimes we like to put a film on whilst we decorate the tree too for extra fun and this year I think Sing-along Frozen would be great for that - I may want to keep putting it on.
What type of Christmas films and DVD's do you like? Any recommendations?
Image source: gingerbread family Shutterstock